www.SwingLifeStyle.com
The Poly Community helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

What is Polyamory?

Posted by © KC LA International <3 on February 16, 2009 at 11:30pm in Welcome Center (Change)
View Discussions

http://www.polychromatic.com/

Polyamory (or poly for short) is the practice of having multiple, honest, loving relationships at the same time. Unlike affairs, poly relationships are intended to be honest and consensual. The range of polyamorous relationships is large and ranges from somewhat casual to extremely committed (including group marriage) situations.

Unlike the image of free love in the 1960s, the polyamory community understands that creating multiple strong relationships is a difficult task and requires some thought and care. And unlike the image of swinging, polyamory tends to focus on relationships and love, instead of focusing primarily on additional sexual outlets.

Which is not to say that sex isn't an important benefit of some, perhaps many, polyamorous relationships. Duh!

Unfortunately, we live in a world where traditional monogamy is often more sometimes more of a facade than a reality. Polyamory provides a way for people to honor their desire to be initimate with many people, while letting them preserve their values, their self-respect, their sense of committment, and their long-term relationships.

Sound crazy? Five years ago I might have agreed. And I won't deny that it didn't take some time and adjustment for everything to be comfortable to everyone. But, as a result, I have a wonderful wife of many years, a girlfriend of two years, both of whom I love dearly, and an occasional friendly date with two of my intimiate friends (one male, one female). My two main partners are both good friends and we definitely share some sense of family together. Everyone is comfortable and satisified with the situation. Wouldn't you agree that that situation was worth some effort?

http://www.polychromatic.com/

CainO'

My score on The Polyamorous Test: in 2006

Heavenly Perfection

(CainO' is 86% Poly =) 95% tolerant of the poly lifestyle =) (But... he's 15% just in it for the sex =)))

Ooooooohhhh Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh You're poly.

You're tolerant of poly lifestyle. (Good for you you like yourself!)

You're not just here for the sex.

And you won't lie to your mate.

I *Like* YOU.

Congratulations on being a pretty good person =)

Gabriel_Night

Oh - just so you don't go off wondering - the first question? the one about monogamous cultures? the answer is 16% of recorded cultures have been monogamous - 84% have been non monogamous! how about that? =)

Link: The Polyamorous Test

(OkCupid Free Online Dating)